Here is the newest update on Lainey. Today Lainey is 3 weeks and 1 day old. She is up to 7 lbs. 12 oz. (she weighed 7 lbs. 3 oz. at birth, and 6 lbs. 12 oz. when we arrived at Egleston). Today the doctors took out the PICC line in her arm, ending her lipids (fats) IV and clear fluids. They also quit the irrigation into her bowels and clamped off the t-tube. They haven't removed the t-tube in case she has any more issues going to the bathroom in the next couple of days. She is up to eating a little over 2 oz. of breast milk with powdered formula added to increase her calorie count. People with Cystic Fibrosis usually have great difficulty gaining weight, therefore the doctors want to add as many calories as possible to her diet. In speaking with the Cystic Fibrosis doctor, we have learned a lot about what the future will and may bring for Lainey and our family. She will have an appointment each month with the Cystic Fibrosis Center. Her doctor is very curious and eager to learn more about her stands of Cystic Fibrosis. People with CF are born with the delta F508 strand and another mutation of the 7th chromosome. Approximately 66% of people born with CF have 2 strands of delta F508. This is one of the worst cases of CF, causing digestive and respiratory problems and eventually causing death from numerous infections in the lungs. For the other 34% of people with Cystic Fibrosis, they have delta F508 and one of the other 1500 + mutations of the 7th chromosome. Lainey has delta F508 and R560T. Her doctor at the CF center looked through the Georgia data base on known CF patients and she is the only patient that has the combination of delta F508 and R560T!! She is also gaining weight...another plus for people with CF, whom usually suffer from "failure to thrive". She is definitely testing the doctor's knowledge and curiosity, as she is unlike any case he has ever had! She also hasn't had any respiratory problems! After performing several tests on her stool, the doctor found from one test that she has too many fats in her stool. These fats are usually absorbed by the body in people that do not have CF. Since she has too many fats, the doctor has decided to put her on enzymes. Starting yesterday and for the rest of her life, Lainey will need to take enzymes before each meal or snack in order to properly digest her food. This has been difficult since newborns can't swallow capsules! Before each feeding I have to break open the enzyme capsule, put the enzyme beads in applesauce, and finger feed the applesauce and enzymes to her!! This takes forever, but I am sure she will catch on soon! Originally we thought she might go home this Friday, but the doctors are saying that it may be Monday or Tuesday of next week. We are just ready to bring our "Lainey Bug" home!! Hopefully she will soon get to meet all of the people who have been helping to bring her home through all of their words of encouragement, thoughts, prayers, and support. We also appreciate all of the people that have called and taken care of my parents (Dwight and Diane Schwartz) with meals and in helping with our boys! Thank you all!
DeAnn, Sid, Logan, Liam, and Lainey Smithson
DaySpring Winner and Exclusive Discount Code
1 week ago