Friday, September 12, 2008

Relief!

This week has been wild! Saturday Lainey went tailgating for the first time at the Georgia game. She stayed in Gigi and Papa's motor home due to the heat, but didn't miss a thing. She watched everyone and everything going on around her! We had a blast.

On Monday we received a letter and a card stating Lainey's approval for Medicaid through the Katie Beckett/Deeming Wavier. Lainey's Medicaid goes back to the day she was born, meaning every one of her bills is being covered 100%. This is such a relief since she accumulated a number of bills being in the hospital for 29 days. In addition, when receiving Medicaid, you automatically qualify for WIC. After 2 hours of sitting in the local Health Department with some of the children that attend Fair Street School where I work, we received numerous vouchers that are good until November. Each month we will be able to get 8 cans of Alimentum formula. This is approximately $250.00 worth of formula! Since I am a post-partum mom, I receive a box of cereal, 4 bottles of juice, one dozen eggs, 3 gallons of milk, and 2 pounds of cheese each month until Lainey is 6 months old. She will continue to get WIC vouchers until she is 5 as long as we continue to receive Medicaid. This is this answer to many of my prayers!

Along with all of the other wild things going on this week, we have changed Lainey's enzymes again. Now she is taking 2 Ultrase enzymes before each meal. I am not so sure they are any better than what she was on before, but we are willing to try anything to make our princess's life better! It seems as though she is having more bowel movements than before. With each bowel movement, her little bottom gets more raw and bleeds. We have been through more tubes of "butt cream" than we can count! After running out of samples of Ultrase given to us by Lainey's CF doctor, we picked some up at the pharmacy.....and this is where additional WILD things occurred! Somehow the pharmacist misunderstood the doctor when he called in the prescription. The prescription I picked up was Ultrase, but not the dosage she had been taking. Ultrase MT 12 was filled for Lainey. Not paying much attention, I picked up the enzymes from the pharmacy and packed them in Lainey's luggage for her trip with Gigi and Papa. After using the new enzymes for a day, my mom made me aware of the numerous differences in the new prescription when compared to the samples given to us by the doctor. After researching the different types of Ultrase enzymes via the internet, Sid and I realized a major difference. We advised mom to cease the new prescription and continue using the samples. On Thursday I confirmed our concerns with Dr. Caplan. Although he called in a specific prescription, the pharmacist filled it with a similar, yet stronger dosage than prescribed. We were giving Lainey 2 capsules of the new prescription, which gave her 15,000 more units of the active ingredient than needed for someone her size! No wonder mom hadn't changed any poopy diapers! Her doctor said that she was absorbing fat like we want, but the new prescription was also causing her to absorb her own waste! NOT COOL! We are thankful that mom caught this when she did or we could have one sick little girl on our hands. Currently we are still working with the pharmacy to "fix" this mix-up. This has definitely taught me to check all of her medications very carefully before administering them.

This weekend will continue our WILD week as we have been cleaning and preparing our house for Dayna's baby shower on Sunday. Knowing that I am beat when I get home and that I have the kids all day by myself on the weekends, my mother-in-law hired a maid to clean my house! This was an awesome surprise and my house is happy to have had a deep cleaning! In addition to the cleaning, Sid and his mother worked hard to make our yard look beautiful. I find it humorous to know that now I would rather have my house cleaned than go shopping for new clothes!!!

Thursday the boys underwent their Cystic Fibrosis tests. WOW! It took 4 adults to hold Logan down long enough to get 3 vials of blood. Liam was upset for a few seconds and then all was cool! I'm not sure he feels pain! :) It is recommended that siblings of children with Cystic Fibrosis are also tested. Hopefully we will have good news ~ neither boy has Cystic Fibrosis. The test will not only let us know if either boy has Cystic Fibrosis, but will alert us if they are carriers of the Cystic Fibrosis gene mutations effecting Lainey. We should have their results within the next couple of weeks.

Today I received my Cystic Fibrosis test results for last Thursday's test. The results confirmed my contribution of the delta F508 gene. This is the gene all Cystic Fibrosis patients carry. The mutation of the gene can also be another delta F508 or one of the other 1500 + mutations. Since Lainey has one delta F508 and one R560T mutation, we now know that Sid is the carrier of the "odd" mutation. I think we should have known that Sid would have been the one with the "odd" mutation!! The purpose of my being tested was solely for determining which of us carried which gene. In addition to finding out this information, I also learned that my prolactin level is high. My doctor is sending me to an endocrinologist for further testing. I am hoping this helps in finding the cause behind losing my hair, lactating, and several other odd symptoms I have had for a while.

On Wednesday Lainey's has an appointment at the Cystic Fibrosis Center. We are praying that she weighs at least 13 pounds and that her lungs are clear of bacteria. This would be a gain of 2 1/2 pounds. She is really growing in length, but is still skinny! She is finally wearing 0 to 3 month clothes ~ and she will be 4 months old on Saturday the 20th!

Sunday, September 21st is Lainey's Baptism. We are inviting all friends and family who wish to attend to join us at 10:55 am in the Sanctuary of Gainesville First United Methodist Church.

Thank you for all of your prayers! Please continue to pray for us as we receive news on the boys' Cystic Fibrosis test results and in Lainey's appointment at the Cystic Fibrosis Center.

DeAnn

No comments: